Gluten Free Pie Crust
3/4 packed cup of blanched almond flour
1 1/4 cup of Tapioca or Arrowroot starch
4 TBSP of salted butter (kerrygold grassfed butter or ghee is good)
4 TBSP of palm shortening (organic spectrum brand)
1/2 tsp of salt
1 tsp of xantham or guar gum
4 TBSP of unsweetened apple sauce
Reserve for later:
1/4 cup of extra tapioca or arrowfroot starch to roll dough out on (Optional)
1. In a food processor add the almond flour, starch, butter, shortening and xantham or guar gum. Process until the dough begins to come together. Add the applesauce and process until a smooth dough forms.
2. Place the dough into a sealed tupperware and place into the fridge 2 hours.
3. After the dough has chilled- mix in the last 1/4 cup of starch and roll out between two parchment papers (dusting with extra starch as needed to prevent sticking). If you chill the dough for 24 hours you will only need a little bit of starch to roll the dough out, you won't need the full 1/4 cup.
4. Quickly place the rolled out crust into the pie pan using the parchment as your guide to hold its shape without breaking.
5. At this point you can either fill the crust with filling of choice and follow the directions for the pie OR bake the crust in a 350 degree oven 16-20 minutes until lighly golden.
*To make this crust completely dairy free you can just double the shortening and leave out the butter.