I've never really been a fan of meatloaf. The name even just sounds gross...haha. But, this is pretty good! It's got a great flavor and a "clean eating" meal. This is something great to include in your meal prep for the week. Keep it in the fridge and eat it for snack, lunch or dinner!! My kids actually beg for this!! So, it's definitely a keeper!
1 1/2 cups chopped onion (I usually just use onion flakes or frozen chopped onions, easy peasy!)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp minced garlic
1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce (can sub with coconut aminos or liquid aminos if you don't do soy)
3/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
2 tsp tomato paste (no salt added)
3 lbs extra lean ground turkey (or lean ground beef)
1 cup quick cooking oats (Gluten Free Version: choose gluten free oats)
4 egg whites (you can use egg whites in a carton)
1 cup reduced sugar ketchup
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees & spray 9X13 Pyrex dish with non-stick spray.
2. In a large saute pan, cook the onions & peppers with salt, pepper, & thyme until onions are translucent (about 5 minutes)
3. Add garlic, soy sauce, chicken broth, & tomato paste, mixing until heated through.
4. Set mixture aside to cool.
5. In a large bowl combine ground turkey (or chicken), egg whites, oats, & sauteed mixture (cooled).
6. Mix by hand until all incorporated & press flat into the 9X13 Pyrex dish.
7. Spread ketchup in an even layer on top of the prepared turkey (or chicken).
8. Place in the oven to bake for 1 hour & 20 minutes.
Makes 24 servings
Tip: I usually add the ketchup on top after it's been cooked