Friday, July 1, 2011

Fitness Fridays: Snacking & Link up Party!

Welcome to another edition of Fitness Friday! I hope you'll join me every week! 
Go ahead and grab the button. *winky wink*


new button


Today I feel the need to talk about Snacking.....hmmmm, don't you sometimes here it all day loooooonnng, "Mom, can I have a snack?" I find that if I schedule snack time, it works for my kids {& Me} so much better.  We have Breakfast, Snack, Lunch, Snack, a more sensible Dinner, and sometimes a small bedtime snack for the kids. If it's planned out the whole day seems so much easier. Snack time is at the table and it's scheduled. Yep- we eat every 2-3 hours of small little meals or snacks throughout the day.  I know you've heard of doing this, it's not anything new, but some may find it irritating.  For me, it's essential, it helps keep my energy up (your body needs continual GOOD fuel), keeps my blood sugar from dropping (I have problems with that). Eating several small meals each day is a very wise thing to do not only for those reasons. But, it can also keep you full so you are not tempted to overeat & eating every two hours will keep your metabolism about 30 percent higher than eating less often and will also enable you to burn more calories if weight loss is your goal. 


Now don't go Snackity Snacking all the time on anything you see in sight.  Of course it's gotta be smart choices :) Think of everything you put in your mouth as fuel for your body, that is the purpose of food, right? Small meals should have a healthy balance of nutrients to help ensure good as they are fueling your body for the next two hours or so. The most nutritious small meals would include protein (helps you feel fuller longer), healthy fats and nutritious carbohydrates. A good example of this would be String cheese, Almonds & grapes. The String Cheese supplies several grams of protein while almonds supply healthy unsaturated fats. Choose low-fat string cheese to help keep the saturated fat content of your meal low. Grapes are a nutritious carbohydrate that supply natural sugar to keep your body fueled without causing your blood sugar to spike. One string cheese, a handful of almonds and a 1/2 cup of grapes is the appropriate serving size for this small meal/snack.

Here are a few good snack option ideas for you and the Family

(put a list on your fridge so you can remember your options)
String Cheese, Almonds, Grapes (listed above)
String Cheese & an Apple
Apple slices with 1 to 2 TBS all Natural Peanut Butter
Yogurt (go for the less sugary alternatives) & Strawberries
Celery & 1 to 2 TBS All Natural Peanut Butter
Banana Slices and 1 to 2 TBS Peanut Butter
A simple mix of Granola, Raisins and raw Almonds

more for Crunchy/Salty:
* Flavored popcorn or rice cakes 
* Pretzels (with or without some honey mustard dip) 
* Light microwave popcorn 
* Baked tortilla chips with salsa
more Fruits & Veggies: 
* Sliced strawberries with fat-free cool whip or half n half
* Raw veggies (try a dip with ranch seasoning and fat-free sour cream) 
* Frozen grapes
more Dairy:
* String cheese or Light Yogurt
* Chocolate milk (made with low-fat milk)
* Cottage cheese with canned pineapple, grapes or any other fruit pieces
Drinks:
* Orange whip (In a blender, combine, 1 cup orange juice, 1 carton orange nonfat yogurt, and a few ice cubes) 
if you are crazy for Sweets try this:
* 2 whole wheat fig bars (look for these in the organic food section) 
* 2 low-fat graham crackers spread with 1 T. chocolate frosting 
* 3 Hershey's kisses 
* Animal crackers (1/2 small box) and a cup of low-fat milk

Also try to curb your sweet tooth with a peppermint patty (peppermint can sometimes help make you feel full) or the "Dessert" Sugar Free Gum.

Any of these options are so much better than grabbing a bag of Potato Chips or a couple of Candy Bars.  
Never let yourself get too hungry & remember portion control is the key!

My Progress:
This week I gradually started to get in a few miles again when I could, still sticking with Turbo Fire and Shakeology & Loving it!

Miles Ran this week: 4.51
Turbo Fire Days: 2 (not as many as I wanted to get in, but hey...I'm a normal, busy mom...sometimes things don't always go as planned & it's okay)
Total days worked out: 4

Last weekend I went without Shakeology and that is when I noticed how much it was actually doing for me.  I felt like eating everything in sight and wanted sweets and this and that.....what. in. the. world. Oh I know... I realized I hadn't had my Shakeology per day.  I realized it totally curbs my cravings, keeps me fuller longer, I drink it for Lunch or one of my Snack options each day...and wow- I can really tell a difference.  

I wasn't going to do my measurements since it has only been a week, but check this out-

Last Weeks Stats
Weight- 138
Waist around belly button- 33.5
Natural waist- 32.25
Hips- 38 1/2
Chest- 34
Right relaxed arm- 11.8
Left relaxed arm- 12
Right Thigh- 22.2
Left Thigh- 22.5

This Weeks Stats
Weight- 138 (no change-that's totally okay)
Waist around belly button- 32.5
Natural waist- 29
Hips- 37 1/2
Chest- 34 (thank goodness nothing here..LOL)
Right relaxed arm- 11.5
Left relaxed arm- 11.75
Right Thigh- 21.25
Left Thigh- 22


~See last weeks Fitness Friday Post Here~

I wasn't expecting any change since it had only been a week and I was totally surprised at my measurements. The reason I decided to take them is because I could tell a definite difference already in how my clothes were fitting. I was already pretty active before I started Turbo Fire, but it is a change in workout, and the main thing is that I started drinking Shakeology. I think it really has made the difference.  I'm a true believer! Wow- Who would've thunk it! :)

Now let's get to the "Link up Party"
1. Follow me  Leave a comment & I will follow you back! 
2. Include the "Fitness Fridays" button in your post.
3. Create a blog post. If you want help in staying accountable, Blog about your goals, your progress each week, what you struggle with, etc. This will give me and others the opportunity to help with comments and encouragement to reach your Health & Fitness goals. 
If you are a Health & Fitness blogger you can create a post just for Fitness Fridays or anything else that you'd like to share. If you have a great tip, healthy snack or recipe or something that you've found please link up.
4. Please visit other links to comment & encourage others
5. come back every week for our link up party

 Thanks!! This can be fun and so motivating and helpful to others. 
Now let's get this Party Started!! Woo Hoo!


I will also be partying with these links:
Join  us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap 
 up           party!
Life As I See It [Fitness, Health and Happiness]

(Stay tuned for my First Guest Post swap next week)

Have a Fit-abulous Weekend! :)










18 Comment Luv:

Unknown said...[Reply]

Hey there! I'm a new follower from Jill's Blog Hop at Life as I see it...

I also LOVE Turbofire and Shakeology!

Stop by my blog! Let's be friends!

Uberlibrariana/SarahFitness

Rani said...[Reply]

Over from JIll's FF! Great post-Love all the snack variations!!!

Simply Fit Mama said...[Reply]

Hi Ang! Looks like you had a good week for fitness! Keep it up!
http://simplyfitmama.blogspot.com/

Jennifer Zimdars said...[Reply]

Hi! That's awesome! I need to start doing something like what you are doing to keep track. I'm really bad. :(

Stopping by from MBC! New follower!

http://expressionsbyjen.com

Zerique said...[Reply]

Hi! Im a new follower from MBC - find me at onesweetstory.blogspot.com. I am a regular runner & exerciser and I love that you are using your blog as a way to keep others motivated. Even though I do it all the time I need blogs like this to sometime kick me in the rear and get me out there!!! Love your blog!!!

Unknown said...[Reply]

Following now from the Finding New Friends blog hop. I've got two kiddos (one who is 6 months) and am just getting back into shape since I had the baby. Can't have my husband be the only one running marathons in the family! Going to try a half this fall. :-) I'd love a follow back! http://sarahswifeychronicles.blogspot.com/

Crystal said...[Reply]

I'm a new follower from the blog hop! i want to give the orange whip a try! sounds easy and tasty!!

http://amiarunnerorjustcrazy.blogspot.com/

Claire Justine said...[Reply]

Hi great blog post,i'm joining up and adding this to my 3in30 post as it's all about fitness thanks for the hop :)

Unknown said...[Reply]

Thanks for the Great Link ups and comments so far everybody!! I hope you'll join in every Friday for our "Fitness Fridays" :)

Nikki said...[Reply]

Yay!!! This link up stuff is great! SO many new friends and inspiring blogs to follow. I love it! Thanks for you comment on my blog. I'm excited to follow your cute blog! Thanks for the great snack ideas. I'm always looking for new foods to try!

Shana said...[Reply]

Hi! Great blog! Just stopping by from MBC. Would love a visit and a follow back: http://blog.writerslairbooks.com. Thanks!

Brandi said...[Reply]

Those are some amazing measurement differences! Go you! We three from Three Fabulous Mommies are all on various fitness journeys and I am trying to bust the little lingering baby gut from having a baby in January. Found you on the find new friends blog hop and am following with GFC! Hope to see you around :)

Brandi with Three Fabulous Mommies
http://3fabulousmommies.blogspot.com

jillconyers said...[Reply]

I seem to always snack on the same things. Thanks for the list of ideas!

And thanks for linking up with FF :)

Ryzmomplus2 said...[Reply]

I love all these snack ideas, something for every craving! Following from Jill's blog. I admire your courage to put out your weight loss goals too! Congrats on your achievements!

Zerique said...[Reply]

Thanks for visiting my blog. I linked up and plan to link up weekly and share my marathon training plan. I am training for my 6th marathon this year where i am hoping to break 4 hours!!!!! follow me back at onesweetstory.blogspot.com - would appreciate the follow. have a great week!!!

Tanya said...[Reply]

I am following you now. Great job this week.

Brit said...[Reply]

Thanks for the tips and for linking up with us! See you next week ;)
Britney
www.jandmseyecandy.blogspot.com

Joseph Stan said...[Reply]

My wife was just put on a very strict diet for her health. I forwarded her this link to check out. Sounds like it could be pretty good!

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments and Feedback! If you take the time to read my blog, I'd love to hear from you anytime!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Natural supplements

Brain Balance

Search This Blog

Hint Water

Fit MaMa WannaBe on Facebook

a POPSUGAR Select Fitness Founding Member

Sweat Pink!



Fit Mama WannaBe


To show support please leave comments, questions, feedback and you can follow via Google Friend Connect, Networked Blogs, Bloglovin', Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow Fit Mama WannaBe
Thoughts in Vinyl Blog Button

I want to hear your story.....

If you have a Weight-loss or Fitness or any other motivational type Story, I would love to feature you on my blog. Please email me at sparklesandbugs {at} hotmail.com



Follow Me on Pinterest

Copyrighted

Please don't use any picture or ideas from this blog without proper attribution. Thanks a bunch!
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2012 • All Rights Reserved